Thursday, August 24, 2006

Plate Number 1



Its amazing how much attention you get when your car’s plate number is Number ‘1’. That’s the first thing I noticed when we got picked up by our tour operator in Yemen. As we were on the road, all kinds of people kept pointing their fingers at the plate number and cars were peeping their horn and people were signaling number one with their hands to us.

The driver told, he has tourist taking pictures of the car all the time. I guess I finally understand why people in Dubai pay millions of Dirhams to buy fancy plate numbers.

1 comment:

3anooda said...

I was in Dubai once driving with my friend and in front of other friends. Our friends behind us were in a Omani rental Lexus LX470 and we were in a souped up Mercedes E class (the old look)with a Dubai licence plate number 7500.

We were in Madinat Jumeirah and when we went into the parking area, the parking guy pulled down a cordon for us to park in a specific place and our friends were stopped and sent to the "poor peoples" parking area.

I couldnt beleive it. Where we were parked were Bentleys and Cayennes etc. I couldnt beleive the discrimination that came out of a parking lot super.