Saturday, August 12, 2006

Plan C and D

We have to beat the clock so we decide to check out Moscow and see the Kremlin and the Red Square. For a 3rd time, I buy the Lonely Planet book; and after reading it, we decide it’s a great place to check out and the weather is great. So I book the flights and after some research we decide to stay at the Holiday Inn and all that is left is the visa.

Well that’s when you find out that you are dealing with ex-communist country. No one at the embassy or consulate picks the phone, when they do, it’s someone who hardly speaks English. During my search on the internet I find out that we need a ‘travel voucher’ which basically means that we need someone to sponsor us. I needed to know more about it and no one can me you over the phone even worse the Russian Consulate, visa section is open for 2 hours a day only, its location is in Diera, Dubai where its practically impossible to get to and to find parking is another obstacle.


Time is running out and we need to get the ‘travel voucher’ pronto. My travel agent advises me to take and Emirates Airline holiday and I said ‘sure why not’ only to find out the average cost would be around $1,000 a day! This is way beyond my budget and getting the travel voucher through other means would take us some time.

Plan D, where is somewhere close and different, with nice weather with least amount of hassle. Even thought Yemen has been on the list for sometime, due to the heat I would not consider at this time of the year but then I find out that in Sana’a the maximum temperature is 77 F/25 c and minimum is 60F/16c and no visa required. Done deal tickets are bought and hotel is paid for, over the net.

4 days night seem too long and many people are shocked at our decision to go there, but I have not heard anything but praise about it, if you are looking for a cultural experience and rich history.

So let the good time roll, baby.

No comments: