Friday, June 16, 2006

Turning a hobby into a profession














How cool would that be? Turning something you like doing as a hobby into something that would make you money. That must be the ultimate dream of everyone. After 3 years of deciding to buy a proper camera to take better photos, I am now taking my hobby of photography one step further.

My habit of sharing some of my photos by email, has got some good responses from my friends, but I always took that lightly, because I thought they are being nice to me when they complemented me.

This changed after one of my friends sent my photos to an advertising agency in Dubai and they approached me after a business dinner to talk to me about the photos, I started to have 2nd thoughts.A few months later, a couple of people from work approached me and wanted to buy some photos, that’s when I decided its time take this matter more seriously.

So I got my photos enlarged and printed, and I was able to sell 5 photos the very next day to a new start up company. They initially wanted 9 of them, but had a change of mind when it was time to pay. But hey, who's is complaining, it’s my hobby and I recovered the cost of enlarging and printing all the photos. I am now in the process of making an album to enable me to approach some art galleries and see how far I can take this hobby.

So if you know anyone who wants to buy photos from Oman, Iran, Vietnam, Colombia, Cuba or underwater than please direct them to me and we can do some business.

4 comments:

Per Your Request said...

I think you should, Wow! Your best pictures (IN my opinion) are the ones that highlight the geometry and architecture (1, 3, 5, 9, 10)

Devilish said...

ur new photos r Stunning !!! Amazing !

evenstar said...

Great work ColOman!

There's nothing better than being paid for what brings you joy. Just don't sell yourself short, OK?

All the best...

fatamo said...

Wow that's really cool and a great idea! I think it would be crazy NOT to be paid to take such amazing pics.