Sunday, June 04, 2006

Nets Kill Turtles in a Nature Reserve





The Daymaniyat Islands, in Oman, are one of the best dives spots I have ever been too. I have dived in the Red Sea, Cuba, Thailand, Thailand and the UAE but I am yet to see such large quantities of fish and marine life like I do when I dive in the Daymaniyat Islands.

This UNESCO nature reserve is supposedly protected by the rangers and fishing is prohibited. Sadly the enforcement is levels are weak and fishermen fish in these water using nets that destroy the vegetation and kill many marine animals.


Last week divers found a dead turtle stuck in the nets left behind by the fishermen. This senseless death could have been avoided if fishermen are penalized for hanging around the area and fishermen are made aware of the problems they cause when using such nets.

No comments: